Are you a full-time, unpaid, family caregiver for a loved one of any age with a chronic illness or disability that requires around-the-clock care? If so, you are invited to *apply for the Alabama Respite Voucher Respite Reimbursement program.
*If you have applied for and received respite reimbursement after Sept. 1, 2020 there is no need to reapply. Re-enrollment information will be sent to recipients by Aug. 31 annually.
The completion of this application does not guarantee the awarding of financial assistance from Alabama Lifespan Respite.
Please note that while Alabama Lifespan Respite wishes we could help all qualified individuals who seek assistance, regrettably we only have limited funds to meet the needs of qualified caregivers. Therefore, we can only respond to requests based on our available resources.
Click on the application below to begin. Scroll down to learn more about the program.
Complete the AL Respite Application 2020-21 Fillable form and send with proof of care recipient diagnosis to:
Mail: Alabama Respite, 1856 Keats Dr. NW, Huntsville, AL 35810
Need help completing your application? Watch this step-by-step instructional video
Caregiver considerations when applying for the Alabama Respite Reimbursement Program:
- I understand that I cannot currently be receiving respite services through any other program to qualify for the Alabama Respite reimbursement program.
- I understand that I must submit proof of diagnosis, which is required to process my application.
- I understand that in order to receive reimbursement for respite services, my timesheet form must be completed, signed, and returned to Alabama Respite by the due date provided.
- I understand that I am responsible for selecting and training a trustworthy respite provider(s) who is at least 18 years of age and living outside of the care recipient’s home. Neither Alabama Respite nor UCP Huntsville will be held responsible for any actions taken by my selected respite provider.
- I understand that reimbursement checks will be mailed to the address submitted on the timesheet form, and that there is a 60-90 day processing period before I will receive reimbursement. If I cannot wait 60-90 days for reimbursement, I understand that this program does not fit my needs and I will not apply to the program.
- I agree to use respite reimbursement funds only for respite care.
About the Alabama Respite Reimbursement Program
Need help completing your timesheet? Watch this step-by-step instructional video
What are timesheets? Timesheets are simply a paper form that documents when and how long respite took place and who provided the respite.
How the program works: Once an applicant is qualified for the respite program, the caregiver will receive a welcome packet with instructions and a timesheet indicating the amount of reimbursement award they will receive for a specific period of time. Caregivers may use their award all at once or in increments over the approved period of time.
Caregivers may choose anyone they wish to provide respite and may require training (such as CPR or basic First-Aid), if they so choose, but the level of training is at the discretion of the caregiver. The provider must be over age 18 and not living in the home with the care recipient. More than one provider may provide respite and be recorded as such on the timesheet.
When respite service is completed, the provider signs the timesheet to indicate the date and time respite was received. The caregiver will pay the provider out of pocket and submit the signed timesheet to reimburse themselves. The caregiver sends the signed timesheet back to Alabama Respite, who will issue a check to reimburse the caregiver (based on award amount that must be utilized during the specified time frame). Alternatively, the respite provider may agree to wait until the voucher has been submitted to Alabama Respite and a check has been sent before receiving payment for providing respite.
Once Alabama Respite receives the completed and signed timesheet, reimbursement will be issued within 60-90 days.